What should people with arteriosclerosis eat? Which foods should be avoided? What diet should be followed? What are the healthiest foods to prevent arteriosclerosis? Questions are the most frequently asked questions in this disease. Let’s answer these questions right away.
Nutrition is important not only during illness but also for disease prevention. In cardiovascular diseases, especially saturated fats, alcohols, smoking, animal proteins and sweets should be limited.
- 1 What is arteriosclerosis ?How does arteriosclerosis occur?
- 2 Which Foods Should Not Be Consumed In Arteriosclerosis?!!
- 3 What Should Be Considered For High Cholesterol? Which Foods Should You Eat?
- 4 Which Foods and How Should A Person With Arteriosclerosis Consume?
- 5 Sample Diet Plan for Those With Atherosclerosis or Cholesterol
What is arteriosclerosis ?How does arteriosclerosis occur?
Atherosclerosis is a disease that causes the arteries to be destroyed. Especially lipids accumulate in the walls of the vessels. Calcium also precipitates in this deposit and these forms plaques. With the growth of these plaques, the vessels narrow and the blood flow slows down. Pieces broken off from these deposits can also be carried to other organs and cause clogging of small vessels there (infarction).
There can be many reasons for arteriosclerosis. Among them;
- Hereditary condition
- Structural features
- Wrong diet (Excessive fat, calories, sugar)
- Smoking and alcohol addiction
- Excessive coffee consumption
Which Foods Should Not Be Consumed In Arteriosclerosis?!!
In order to prevent arteriosclerosis, especially foods with low cholesterol should be consumed. This lifestyle can be applied not only for arteriosclerosis, but also for conditions such as excessive obesity, high blood pressure, inactivity, smoking addiction.
So which foods should definitely be avoided? Let’s examine now…
- Alcoholic beverages, cola soda, cigarettes, brewed teas, excessive coffee
- Fatty foods such as fatty meat and cream
- Fats such as butter, margarine
- Fried foods
- Sausage, salami, sausage, etc.
- Spicy and spicy foods
- Foods such as cake, cake, cookie, pastry
- Fatty Snacks
Foods such as eggs, vegetable oils, meat and fish, honey should also be consumed in small amounts.
What Should Be Considered For High Cholesterol? Which Foods Should You Eat?
As we mentioned before, one of the biggest factors of arteriosclerosis is high cholesterol level. There is no harm in eating a low cholesterol diet. The important thing is to pay attention to what you eat. Therefore, it is necessary to limit the cholesterol level. What foods should or should not be consumed are listed below.
- Offal and shellfish contain low fat but high levels of cholesterol. Egg yolk is the food that contains the most cholesterol. But there is no cholesterol in egg whites.
- Saturated fatty acids (vegetable oils) increase cholesterol but unsaturated fatty acids (animal fats) decrease.
- Sugar should be avoided. But fruit sugar should beconsumed.
- Salt is known to increase the tendency to high blood pressure and arteriosclerosis.
- If there is a high amount of cholesterol in the blood, it will be beneficial to eat 2 tablespoons of oatmeal mixed with milk, yogurt or soup a day.
- High calorie foods may cause obesity if taken too much. This can trigger arteriosclerosis.
Which Foods and How Should A Person With Arteriosclerosis Consume?
Meats: Meat with the least amount of fat should always be preferred. Offal is strictly prohibited as it contains high cholesterol.
Vegetables, Legumes: All vegetables with green leaves can be eaten easily. At least 100 grams of vitamin A-containing vegetables such as carrots, spinach and chicory should be consumed per day. In addition, it can be eaten with potatoes and legumes.
Fruit: Fruit can be eaten in moderation. You can eat an average of 150 grams of fruit a day.
Egg: Egg should not be eaten because it contains cholesterol. But egg whites can be consumed.
Cereals: Cereal should not be preferred too much. Instead, it can be eaten without fat grissini.
Desserts and ice creams: All kinds of desserts and ice cream should not be consumed.
Dairy products: Only skim milk should be eaten. In addition, fat-free or low-fat cheese can be consumed in cheese.
Fish: Apart from fatty fish such as eel, salmon, herring and tuna, other fish can be cooked and consumed.
Except those ; It shouldn’t be olives. If desired, lean broths, capers, small amounts of coffee and tea may be allowed.
Sample Diet Plan for Those With Atherosclerosis or Cholesterol
Arteriosclerosis and the cholesterol that causes it cause embolism. For this reason, especially animal fats should be avoided. Below is a sample diet list.
- 250 g skimmed milk or 220 g orange juice
- 40 gr rusks or dry biscuits (can be oatmeal)
- 10 g toffee
- 60 gr pasta or rice cooked with oil
- 150 g lean meat or fish
- 100 g of cooked or raw vegetables
- 40 gr cheese
- 150 gr seasonal fruit
- Pasta or rice cooked with vegetable juice
- 2 thin slices of fat-free cheese or 100 g chicken
- 150 g of vegetables cooked with 15 g of oil
- 40 gr bread or lean grissini
- 150 gr fruit
Take a look at other dietary advice.
Note: This diet list is 1800 calories on average. The most important thing to do should be a vegetable diet. You should also take protein. It is useful to consult an expert while applying this list. Stay healthy …